Virginia Beach, VA
Posted Apr. 05, 2022
We are seeking a candidate with experience in estimating land development projects with an emphasis in heavy civil (land clearing, grading, drainage, and road installation). The person works in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with the project team to secure profitable work and build and maintain strong client relationships. The Construction Estimator will work with the leadership/design team on various aspects of civil project controls assignments with strong skills in cost estimating, scheduling, and developing plan packages for construction documentation.
Role / Responsibilities
- Understand, interpret, and review drawings, plans, and detailed bid specifications.
- Utilize AutoCAD Civil 3D and construction estimating software and provide markups for material take-offs.
- Perform quantity take-offs and prepare accurate estimates/packages for projects.
- Develop project schedules for tracking field progress.
- Review subcontractors’ estimates for accuracy and to ensure all required attributes have been addressed.
- Assist with change order estimates, document preparation and tracking change order status.
- Perform site walkdowns of prospective projects for bid conformity, as well as active projects to inspect current conditions.
- Develop and update tracking formats to trend all aspects of the bid process for analysis, comparison and unit rate standardization.
- Maintain accurate records of quantities for work performed and materials installed.
- Support multiple projects in varying degrees of execution.
- Establish and foster relationships with owners, contractors, subcontractors, and other industry specialists.
- Participate in coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner, contractor, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Experience / Skills Required
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with land development and civil projects.
- Proficient knowledge of the practices related to Civil construction work.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Products (ex. Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Familiarity with estimating and design software (ex. AutoCad and AGTEK) and construction project management applications.
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Effective time management skills and ability to prioritize among competing responsibilities.
- Strong work ethic and initiative.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate a high degree of integrity and confidentiality.
- Must have a reliable means of transportation and good driving record.
Experience / Skills Desired
- Some college-level construction management study preferred.
- Experience with both private and public sector clients/projects.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Some travel may be required as business needs dictate.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.