Dredge Operator - Night Shift
Join our growing Garcia team! Garcia Mining Company is a 600-acre sand mining facility that is an integral part of Garcia Farms located in Hendry County, Florida. The Dredge Operator will operate critical, high value equipment, including the dredge and pit pumps, in an extremely efficient manner to produce sand, and operate various heavy equipment as needed to aid in production, stockpiling, shipping and maintenance. Employer-provided relocation package, inclusive of on-site housing, available if applicable.
Role / Responsibilities
- Safely and effectively operate any work boats and dredges and pit equipment at high skill level; includes excavator, pit pumps, boosters, and generators.
- Safely and effectively operate all other heavy equipment.
- Conduct inspections, as required by MSHA, before work begins in an area and before use of equipment.
- Ensure the dredge and all pit equipment are properly maintained at all times.
- Maintain consistent, effective communication with the quality control technician.
- Understand and maintain quality control of sand product.
- Perform necessary steps to maximize pit recovery.
- Notify Production Manager of any and all quality control problems.
- Perform general housekeeping of all equipment and fueling and greasing areas.
- Adhere to all policies, safety rules, guidelines, and codes; understand and comply with MSHA regulations.
- Assist enforcement of workplace hazard and MSHA requirements.
- Maintain successful community relations with adjacent landowners and community.
- Represent Garcia Mining Company with high integrity, consistent with company core values.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Experience / Skills Required
- Thorough understanding of all essential equipment pertaining to the position, including how to operate and maintain them safely, competently, and effectively with high emphasis on the high value and critical nature of all essential equipment.
- Knowledge of quality control requirements for sand.
- Moderate understanding of practices involved in the use of various types of heavy equipment.
- Moderate understanding of maintenance and basic repairs associated with heavy equipment.
- Moderate understanding of safety rules and ability to safely operate machinery.
- Knowledge of mining and/or construction equipment worksites.
- Ability to safely operate equipment including in reverse using mirrors.
- Ability to detect malfunctioning equipment and respond accordingly.
- Knowledge of equipment components, capacities, limitations, and proper use.
- Good communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license.
Experience / Skills Desired
- 3+ years of experience operating heavy equipment (5+ of experience working with dredges preferred).
- Knowledge and experience at mining site and/or construction site.
- Bilingual a plus (English and Spanish).
Physical Demands / Work Environment
- Able to stoop, kneel, crouch, reach and stand to operate and repair heavy equipment.
- Work outside in varying weather and heat conditions.
- Lift 50+/- pounds.
- Attend and participate in required trainings as necessary and as required by MSHA.
- Must be able and willing to work the night shift from 7 p.m. - 5 a.m.