Mechanical Maintenance Technician
Posted Dec. 05, 2023
Join our growing Garcia team! Garcia Mining Company is a 600-acre sand mining facility that is an integral part of Garcia Farms located in Hendry County, Florida. The Maintenance Technician will repair, replace, and fabricate equipment parts for efficient and effective sand mining operations, and troubleshoot equipment problems. Employer-provided relocation package, inclusive of on-site housing, available if applicable.
Role / Responsibilities
- Safely drive and operate vehicles and equipment such as a torch, welder, pallet jack, hand truck/dolly, bobcat, telehandler, and forklift.
- Repair, replace and fabricate equipment parts, including dredge, pumps, hydraulics, heavy equipment and wear parts.
- Perform preventative maintenance inspections and service machines.
- Oil and lubricate moving parts on machines to ensure effective performance.
- Utilize hand tools and power tools to make necessary repairs to warehouse and shop equipment.
- Record and report damaged, worn, or broken parts.
- Notify Logistics Manager of any and all inventory needs and assist with reorders at low or at critical levels.
- Identify the causes of unexpected breakdowns of machines.
- Repair broken machines quickly and efficiently.
- Clean, organize, inventory, stock and otherwise maintain shop areas, parts, tools and supplies.
- Perform general housekeeping of warehouse/shop, offices and bathroom areas; includes sweeping, vacuuming, pressure washing, weed eating, and mowing (operate push or riding mower or tractor); administer cleaning supplies, pest and weed killers.
- Adhere to all policies, safety rules, guidelines, and codes; understand and comply with MSHA regulations.
- Maintain successful community relations with adjacent landowners and community.
- Represent Garcia Mining Company with high integrity, consistent with company core values.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Experience / Skills Required
Individuals must possess the knowledge, skills and abilities to be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some combination of skills and abilities.
The minimum knowledge, skills and abilities for this position are:
- Mechanically inclined with great problem-solving skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Strong reading and comprehension skills; ability to read and comprehend technical manuals.
- Organized with attention to detail.
- Possess basic math skills, including addition and subtraction, two-digit numbers and units of measurement.
- Ability to operate equipment in reverse using mirrors.
- Ability to detect malfunctioning equipment and respond accordingly.
- Work well independently and with others, and in high pace work environment.
- Valid driver’s license.
Experience / Skills Desired
- Knowledge and experience at mining site and/or construction site.
- Some vocational or community college with related coursework or equivalent experience.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish).
Physical Demands / Work Environment
- Able to bend, stretch, push, pull and move as needed to reach, clean, repair, service and build machinery.
- Work outside in varying weather and heat conditions.
- Lift 75+/- pounds.
- Attend and participate in required trainings as necessary and as required by MSHA.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.